Tuesday 25 February 2014

Reporting concerns about poor practice in the context of safeguarding

Raising concerns against a colleague’s malpractice is always a sensitive issue since telling on our peers may lead to victimisation from the part of the staff community. However, when working with children, their well-being is the paramount issue which outweighs the importance of good relationship with colleagues. Blowing the whistle in suspicious situation still requires courage but the school’s whistle blowing policy will provide protection for those who feel the need to voice their concerns against their co-workers, on the basis of the Public Interest Disclosure Act 1998. (Lisaandgeorge, 2013)
The policy has to outline the rights of those involved and the exact procedure to be followed in order to investigate if the allegations are correct. If we have seen something from our colleagues that we regard as misconduct, the first step is to talk to our line manager and ask their advice. If it is our line manager in question, we need to go to the next level, the head teacher or the head of governors. Each school should also have a safeguarding officer, who is able to advise the colleagues on current policies and the procedures to be followed. If we are looking for support from outside the institution we can turn to the teachers’ union for advice.
Following an official complaint, the school management is legally required to give a response within five working days and call a meeting where concerns can be shared with an investigation committee. The person bringing up the charges will be asked to prepare a written document about detailing the allegations and any supporting information. They have to provide details, names, places and exact dates as evidence to confirm the charges. If there are any witnesses their names have to be included in this report. Following the meeting within ten days the school management has to inform the whistle blower in a formal letter about the actions to be taken. If there is an investigation to be carried out, it is not done by the line managers but the Local Authorities who can act independently and make sure that the procedures safeguarding children are followed. (Jacibennett 2012)
The investigation has to be carried out in a discreet way, as required by the Data Protection Act 1998. Both the whistle blower and the person charged has to be informed about the investigation and its outcomes, even though some pieces of information might be retained in order to respect confidentiality.
Acting upon our suspicions and blow the whistle when we experience malpractice and misconduct from our colleagues can be a frightening experience but we always have to keep in mind that the pupils’ well-being and safety might be affected by our co-workers’ dishonest actions. That is why law also protects the whistle blower and schools encourage staff to be sincere about any concerns.


Reference list
Jacibennett October 2012. Evaluate ways in which concerns about poor practice can be reported whilst ensuring whistle blowers and those who practice or behaviour being questioned are protected. Accessed 02/12/2013. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Cyp-3-3-3-3-1129013.html>
Lisaandgeorge 08/02/2013. Evaluate ways in which concerns about poor practice can be reported whilst ensuring that whistle blowers and those whose practice or behaviour is being questioned are protected. Accessed 02/12/2013.
< http://www.antiessays.com/free-essays/401558.html>


1 comment:

  1. Hello my name is Alesia Code. I am currently working in a hostile environment at a elementary school in Youngstown Ohio. I have witnessed wrong doing to children & myself. I can not go to the CEO of YCSD because he's part of the problem along with the guy below him. I've been ostracized throughout the school. I've reported several problems I've personally witnessed. The principal's at this school has swept things under the rug as if this is the norm. I have brought my concerns to the proper people of this school, but because I'll speak up for the children or will not sit back and let things occur as the norm I'm being bullied daily with the threat of loosing my job. I am a mandated reported also as well as my colleagues. It is a unspoken word with the violations I've witnessed here where I work. I have no one to report them to, because the only thing my colleagues care about is how they look on paper. I can't say all of my colleagues is at fault, but those that will turn their head or walk away are just as at fault. The Vice Principal just stated to my boss yesterday "It seems as if Alesia is watching us". In my opinion if your house isn't dirty why would you care if anyone seen it? This school has covered up numerous things since I've been here. This is my first year working as a PEC(parent engagement coordinator). I replaced another young lady they drove away from here last year with their antics. I need someone to talk to & report this school & to protect me from any further retaliation. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete